Study: Personal care products harmful for young children


According to the research published in the journal Clinical Pediatrics, researchers of the Nationwide Children’s Hospital found that Personal care products like shampoo, lotion, nail polish and cologne may send one child to the hospital in every two hours due
to poisoning and chemical burns.

As stated by them, from 2002 through 2016, around 64,686 children less than five years of age were treated in US emergency departments for injuries associated to personal care products. They found that the most injuries from these products happens, when a child swallowed the product (75.7 per cent) or the product made contact with a child’s skin or eyes (19.3 per cent).

A senior research associate at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Rebecca McAdams said that when you think about what young children see, when they look at these products, that you will start to understand how these injuries can take place.

Three main products categories which leads to injuries were nail care products (28.3 per cent) hair care products (27.0 per cent), and skin care products (25.0 per cent), followed by fragrance products (12.7 per cent).

McAdams also said that when the bottle turns out to be nail polish remover instead of juice, or lotion instead of yogurt, a serious injuries can happen.

Nail polish remover (17.3 per cent of all injuries) and hair care products (52.4 per cent) with hair relaxers and permanent solutions, led to more hospitalisations or visit to emergency than all other products.

She also said that children watch their parents use these items and may try to imitate their behaviour. Since these products are often stored in easy-to-reach places and are not typically in child-resistant containers, it can be easy for kids to get to and open the bottles. As these products are currently not required to have child-resistant packaging, it is important for parents to put them away immediately after use and if possible store them safely in a cabinet with a lock or a latch. All these simple steps can prevent many injuries and trips to the emergency department.

According to Researchers, the ease of access to these products is a concern. They also recommend that paediatricians to discuss these safe storage guidelines with parents, during child visits.